Indiana University School of Fine Arts artists' books collection
||3 cartons plus 17 loose items
||Collection material in English
||University of Notre Dame. Hesburgh Libraries, Department of Special Collections. 102 Hesburgh Library, Notre Dame, IN 46556
A collection of 67 artists' books created under the direction of Thomas (Tom) Coleman, professor emeritus at Indiana University School of Fine Arts. Several of the books were created in homage to Bradbury Thompson, who for many years was a visiting critic and visiting professor at the Yale University School of Art and Architecture and was a teacher of Tom Coleman.
Graphic arts -- United States -- 20th century.
Restrictions: There are no access restrictions on this collection.
Preferred Citation: Researchers wishing to cite this collection should include the following information: Collection number (i.e. EPH 5006), Department of Special Collections, Hesburgh Libraries of Notre Dame.
Acquisition and Processing Note: This collection was donated to the Hesburgh Libraries by Robert Sedlack, who received an M.F.A. at Indiana University and was a student of Tom Coleman's.
Items are arranged and individually boxed approxiately by size. 17 oversized items are housed adjacent to the boxed collections.
- Box 1: EPH 5006-01 to 5006-18
- The Crayola Trivia Book, 1995. Jamie Stanford. EPH 5006-01. Copy number 2 of 20.
- The Visual Language of the Taoist I Ching, 1995. Kim Vonesh. EPH 5006-02. Copy number 2 of 29.
- Illusions in Black and White, 1995. Sheau Hui Ching. EPH 5006-03.
- Centaur: ABCD, 1984. Julie Taugner. EPH 5006-04. Copy number 3 of 10. Contains two ephemeral title cards.
- Feng Shui & Color, 1995. Amy Kamp. EPH 5006-05.
- Thoughts for Food, 1985. Jeannette Brown and Paul Smedberg. EPH 5006-06. Authors names taken from the recipe submissions contained in the book.
- Visual Glossary of Typographic Nomenclature Vol 1. A-H, Vol 2. I-Z, 1988. Linda L Lake. EPH 5006-07. In two volumes.
- Spring to Winter, 1972. Raymond S. Machura. EPH 5006-08. Unnumbered copy of 25.
- Decades of Despair: A Brief, personal history of the Boston Red Sox, 1983. Steven K. Metzler. EPH 5006-09. Copy number 18 of 20.
- The Apple Tree Gang: The Story of the first American golf club and the beginnings of golf in the United States, 1985. John Jenkins III. EPH 5006-10. Copy number 11 of 33.
- The Fourth Day: An Excerpt from chapter five of The Compleat Angler, 1985. Design by Paul Brown; Excerpt from a book written by Izaak Walton. EPH 5006-11. Copy number 1 of 12.
- Proportion, 1981. John Sherman. EPH 5006-12.
- Man and Type in Time: A Brief history of the modern Roman alphabet, 1994. Edward M. Gottschall and Mat T. Planét. EPH 5006-13.
- A Visual Approach to Islamic Calligraphy, 1985. Darlene... EPH 5006-14. Copy number 2.
- Kvaedi um Krist: Poem about Christ, 1989. Design by Vilborg A. Bjornsdottir. EPH 5006-15. Copy number 1 of 8. Text by Steinn Steinarr.
- Homage to Kepes, 1981. Marcia Lausen. EPH 5006-16. Copy number 7 of 10.
- Facets of Type Design, 1987. Darlene... EPH 5006-17. Copy number 1 of 10.
- Chinese Alphabet, ca. 1984. Emil Lung-Chi Tso. EPH 5006-18.
- Box 2: EPH 5006-19 to 5006-32
- This Part Began Really Years Before, 1983. Nancy Reinhart. EPH 5006-19. Copy number 5 of 24. Poets: Dean Young, Beth Kalikoff, Keith Ratzlaff, Bonnie Maurer, Don Boes, Ralph Burns, Kevin Stein.
- Types of Type, 1991. Tom Coleman. EPH 5006-20. Each page designed by a different student in Coleman's graphic design class, Fall 1991.
- The Faces of Type, 1993. Mary Mellerowicz. EPH 5006-21. Each page designed by a different student in Mellerowicz's graphic design class, Spring 1993.
- The Applebet Book, 1981. Janice Wheeler and Lynnette Williamson. EPH 5006-22. Copy number 102 of 120. Contains a postcard written to Thomas Coleman from Janice Wheeler.
- English and Arabic Proverbs, 1993. Adel Shafik. EPH 5006-23.
- On the Thistle: The Printer's marks of Bruce Rogers, 1986. Paul Brown. EPH 5006-24. Copy number 2 of 9.
- Pauline and Fred, 1987. Katy Pastel. EPH 5006-25. Copy number 2 of 17.
- Joanmama, 1990. Design by Kate Borcherding; text written by Joan Jelinek and Kate Borcherding. EPH 5006-26. Copy number 6 of 6. Text written by Joan Jelinek and Kate Borcherding.
- Selected Poems, 1981. Design by Elizabeth Stirrant; text written by Phillip Roberts. EPH 5006-27. Copy number 3 of 10.
- Planet: A family of typefaces, ca. 1997. Mat Planét. EPH 5006-28. Copy number 11 of 15. Dated by inscription in colophon.
- Planet, 1995. Mat Planét. EPH 5006-29.
- A Collection of Sourdough Recipes, 1987. David Appeldoorn. EPH 5006-30. Copy number 4 of 21.
- Women in Graphic Design, 1987. Peg Faimon. EPH 5006-31.
- Lubalin Graph, 1991. Robert Sedlack. EPH 5006-32. Copy number 14 of 15.
- Box 3: EPH 5006-33 to 5006-49
- Bruce Rogers: A Brief retrospective, 1984. Kirsten S. Johnson. EPH 5006-33. Copy number 9 of 15.
- Searching for Z, 1995. Ingrid Hess. EPH 5006-34.
- Twilight: Late in June & A Night of change, 1986. Darlene..; poems by Michael Pierre Price. EPH 5006-35. Copy number 2 of 8.
- Geometry in Life & Art, 1995. Nurhayat Blturan. EPH 5006-36. Copy number 2 of 10.
- ABCDEFG..., 1994. Dixon Brady. EPH 5006-37.
- Book of Cycles, n.d. Mat Planét. EPH 5006-38.
- In Digression, 1996. Amy Kamp. EPH 5006-39.
- Popol Vuh: The Creation, 1993. Scott Thielen. EPH 5006-40.
- 50 Images, n.d. EPH 5006-41. Unbound collection of images, many of which are dated and signed.
- Trees on Campus, 1974. Wade T. Smola. EPH 5006-42. Copy number 4 of 10.
- [Untitled] n.d. Sten Lagerstrom, EPH 5006-43. Statement on typography
- Pinball, n.d. David A. Grimsrud. EPH 5006-44. Copy number 5 of 17. Eight photo silkscreen prints.
- SELFHELP: Crafts of the World. n.d. Ingrid Hess. EPH 5006-45.
- Hollywood on Love and Marriage: Selected quotes, 1984. Julie Taugner. EPH 5006-46. Copy number 3 of 32.
- Creative Problem Solving, 1981. Elizabeth A. Stinatt. EPH 5006-47.
- Out of Focus, 1974. Design by Larry Mersch; poems by Jane E. FitzGerald. EPH 5006-48. Copy number 3 of 12.
- On the Care of Children: An essay selected from The (Old) Farmer's Almanack, 1881., 1983. Kirsten S. Johnson. EPH 5006-49. Copy number 9 of 75.
- [Untitled] n.d. Artists' Book. EPH 5006-50.
- Loose items: EPH 5006-50 to 5006-67
- "[T]he mind and the works of the mind," 1974. Design by Richard Lee Pace; quotations of Eric Gill. EPH 5006-51.
- Running Wild: A Compilation of stories and photographs from the LaSalle Banks Chicago Marathon, 1997. Edited by Kimberly Palamar Woods. EPH 5006-52. ISBN 0-9660689-0-4.
- An Essay on the Graphic Design of Alexey Brodovitch, 1985. Michael S Konetzka. EPH 5006-53.
- Cats and Type, 1991. Sharron C. Hoke. EPH 5006-54. Copy number 5 of 6. Homage to Bradbury Thompson.
- Utilities of Luxury: A Historical look at typography and chair design, 1991. Terry Howe. EPH 5006-55. Copy number 4 of 10. Homage to Bradbury Thompson.
- The Marathon, 1987. Tom Hubbard. EPH 5006-56. Copy number 3 of 16. Homage to Bradbury Thompson.
- Transportation, 1987. S. Shahriar. EPH 5006-57.Homage to Bradbury Thompson.
- On Quilting...pieced thoughts and images relating to quilts., 1974. Janice Wheeler Leslie. EPH 5006-58.Copy number 3 of 10.
- The Divine Comedy: Canto 5: Inferno. Design by Joe Bond; text taken from Dante Alighieri. EPH 5006-59. Copy number 5 of 15. Translation by Mark Musa; illustrations by Gustave Doré.
- The Story of Creation: Genesis 1:1-2:3 from the Confraternity of Christian Doctrine text of the Holy Bible, 1981. Design by John F. Sherman. EPH 5006-60. Copy number 5 of 13.
- A History of Type and Modern Angling, 1998. Thomas W. Walker. EPH 5006-61. Copy number 2 of 15. Homage to Bradbury Thompson.
- A History of Inventions and Typography , 1997. Thomas Coleman & BFA Graphic Design Class of Indiana University, Spring 1997. EPH 5006-62. Homage to Bradbury Thompson.
- Ladies and Gentlemen Children of all ages: A History of the circus and typography, 1992. Tim Legge. EPH 5006-63. Copy number 2 of 12. Homage to Bradbury Thompson.
- Sacco & Vanzetti: The Story of two Italian anarchists. Bruce Campell. EPH 5006-64. Copy number 2 of 15.
- From A to Z, n.d. Andres Chopite. EPH 5006-65. Copy number 1 of 18.
- The Art of the Printed Message, c.1985. Christopher Hoot. EPH 5006-66. Copy number 18 of 24. Homage to Bradbury Thompson.
- Rules of the Typeshop, 1983. Kirsten S. Johnson. EPH 5006-67. Copy number 2 of 5.