Edward Gorey Collection
||9 linear feet
||Collection material in English
||University of Notre Dame. Hesburgh Libraries, Department of Special Collections. 102 Hesburgh Library, Notre Dame, IN 46556
Collection of magazines, clippings, dust jackets, and other ephemera containing illustrations of Edward Gorey. Also includes book catalogs, profiles of Gorey, and reviews of Gorey works.
Illustration of books
Restrictions: There are no access restrictions on this collection.
Preferred Citation: Researchers wishing to cite this collection should include the following information: Collection number (i.e., Ephemera 5004), Edward Gorey Collection, Department of Special Collections, Hesburgh Libraries of Notre Dame.
Acquisition and Processing Note: Rare Books and Special Collections acquired the bulk of the Edward Gorey collection as a gift from Suzy Conway and her brother, Robert M. Conway ('66, '05 LL.D.). Suzy was a librarian at the Harvard Medical School Library, Countway Library, from which she retired in 2002 and is currently a poet and horsewoman. Robert earned his bachelor's degree in 1966 and an honorary LL.D. in 2005 from Notre Dame, a M.B.A. from the University of Chicago, and a Master's of Economics from the Catholic University of Leuven in Belgium. Robert is also a Notre Dame Trustee Emeritus. Subsequent to the original gift, Hesburgh Library continued to develop the collection, adding the few books not held as well as prints, posters, and other ephemera.
Edward Gorey, (1925-2000) was an American author and illustrator. Gorey authored numerous works such as "The Gashlycrumb Tinies," "The Doubtful Guest," and "The Wuggly Ump." In addition, Gorey also designed sets and costumes for numerous theater productions and contributed illustrations to a multitude of publications including books and serials.
This collections consists of articles, article illustrations, drawings, screenplays, programs, picture postcards, posters, correspondence, and realia.
- Box 1 (EPHEMERA 5004)
- Five Instant Lives by Howard Moss and Unpublished Fragments by Lewis Carroll. Antaeus no.13/14 (1974:Spring/Summer).
- English Summer: A Gothic Romance Raymond Chandler. Antaeus no.23 (1976:Autumn).
- The Right of Divorce Donald J. Cantor. The Atlantic Monthly v.218:no.5 (1966:Nov.).
- The Blind Harper: At Home with the Impoverished Anglo–Irish Mary Manning. The Atlantic Monthly v.232:no.4 (1973:Oct.).
- Where There's a Well... Mary Manning. The Atlantic Monthly v.236:no.3 (1975:Sept.).
- Who'd Blame Her? Mary Manning. The Atlantic Monthly v.237:no.3 (1976:Mar.).
- [Rhinoceros drawing] Avant Garde no.3 (1968:May).
- The Gilded Bat: Part 2 Edward Gorey. Ballet Review v.1:no.4 (1966).
- The Gilded Bat: Concluded Edward Gorey. Ballet Review v.1:no.5 (1966).
- [Cover illustration] Ballet Review v.4:no.1 (1971).
- Balletgorey Tobi Tobias. Dance Magazine v.48:no.1 (1974:Jan.).
- Section 1: A Primer on Crowding. Edward Gorey. Design and Environment v.3:no.2 (1972:Summer).
- Box 2 (EPHEMERA 5004)
- A Chthonian Christmas Esquire v.66:no.6 (1966:Dec.).
- The Incredible Revenge of Edward Gorey Alexander Theroux. Esquire v.81:no.6 (1974:June).
- The Pious Infant Regera Dowdy. Alias Edward Gorey. Evergreen v.9:no.35 (1965:Mar.).
- Leaves from a Mislaid Album Edward Gorey. First Person no.1 (1960:Fall).
- Edward Gorey Onstage Peter Andrews. Horizon v.20:no.3(1977:Nov.).
- The Miracle of Ash Wednesday Yevgeny Zamyatin. Edward Gorey. The Kenyon Review v.28:no.112 (1966:Nov.).
- The Wedding Racket Peregrine Pace (Mrs. Kendall Stebbins Bryant). Look v.33:no.12 (1969:June10).
- Box 3 (EPHEMERA 5004)
- The Intelligent Woman's Guide to Sex Karen Durbin. Mademoiselle August 1976.
- [Cover illustration] Mystery Writers Annual 1995.
- The Disrespectful Summons. National Lampoon v.1:no.20 (1971:Nov.).
- [Cover illustration] National Lampoon v.1:no.21 (1971:Dec.).
- The Awdrey-Gore Legacy Edward Gorey. National Lampoon v.1:no.23 (1972:Feb.).
- The Abandoned Sock Edward Gorey. National Lampoon v.1:no.28 (1972:July).
- The Happy Ending Edward Gorey. National Lampoon v.1:no.36 (1973:Mar.).
- A Dozen Stupid Things to Do on a Wet Sunday Afternoon Edward Gorey. National Lampoon 1974:June.
- The Worsted Monster Edward Gorey. National Lampoon 1974:June.
- Gorey Goes Batty. The New York Times Magazine October 6, 1977.
- A Gorey Story Robert Cooke Goolrick. New Times v.6:no.6 (1976:Mar.19).
- Dracula Lives! Newsweek v.90:no.18 (1977:Oct.31).
- Gothics by Gorey. Newsweek v.90:no.18 (1977:Oct.31).
- A Gorey Story Marilyn Stasio. Oui v.8:no.4 (1979:Apr.).
- Een Ziek Leesplankje. Panorama jaarh.60:nr.35 (1973:aug.25-31).
- The Deranged Cousins Edward Gorey. Partisan Review v.36:no.2 (1969).
- [Cover illustration] American Library Association Program Guide (1994).
- Edward Gorey Address Book. 1998.
- The Edward Gorey Bestiary 1984 Engagement Calendar.
- Gorey Endings: A Calendar for 1979.
- Box 4 (EPHEMERA 5004)
- Bio D. Keith Mano. People Weekly v.10:no.1 (1978:July 3).
- Ukridge Starts a Bank Account P. G. Wodehouse. Playboy July 1967.
- What Is Life? Robert Sheckley. Playboy December 1976.
- An American Original Carol Stevens. Print v.42:no.1 (1988:Jan.-Feb.).
- [Cover illustration] Publishers Weekly v.207:no.20 (1975:May 19).
- Edward Gorey Simon Henwood. Purr Spring 1995.
- The Black Doll [Screenplay] Edward Gorey. Scenario v.4:no.1 (1998:Spring.)
- Cycling Cards Edward Gorey. Sports Illustrated v.44:no.24 (1976:June 14).
- The Beastly Baby Edward Gorey. Town & Country v.128:no.4616 (1974:Feb.)
- Tragedies Topiares Edward Gorey. Town & Country v.143:no.5113 (1989:Oct.)
- [Cover illustration, special edition] Town & Country's Select Guide to the Ins and Outs of Tennis. [special issue]
- Bats, Cats, Dracula and the World of Gorey Michael Ryan. Us v.2:no.4 (1978:June13).
- Funny Speculations on Ways Famous Lives Might Have Been Lived Howard Moss. Edward Gorey. Vogue May 1974. Drawings by Edward Gorey.
- Random Walk Edward Gorey. Worth v.3:no.1 (1994:Feb.).
- Random Walk Edward Gorey. Worth v.4:no.5 (1995:June).
- Box 5 (EPHEMERA 5004): Miscellaneous Items
- Annotated bibliography of Edward Gorey in Suzy Conway's private collection.
- Book reviews.
- Dust jackets.
- Invoices and correspondence with Gotham.
- Christmas cards.
- "Dracula" programs.
- Publisher's advertisements.
- Box 6 (EPHEMERA 5004): Coffee Mugs
- Box 7 (EPHEMERA 5004): T-shirts/ Sweatshirts
- Box 8 (EPHEMERA 5004): Cards, Stamps, Buttons
- Box 9 (EPHEMERA 5004): Miscellaneous Items