|Title:||Liam Creagh Collection on Brendan Behan|
|Collection No.:||MSE/IR 1070|
|Extent:||17 folders containing manuscripts, typescripts, photographs, drawings and newspapers and 1 leather belt.1 linear foot|
|Language:||Collection material in English|
|Repository:||University of Notre Dame. Hesburgh Libraries, Department of Special Collections. 102 Hesburgh Library, Notre Dame, IN 46556|
|Abstract:||Correspondence and ephemera relating to Brendan Behan.|
Behan, Brendan (1923-1964)
Restrictions: There are no access restrictions on this collection
Preferred Citation: Liam Creagh Collection on Brendan Behan, Department of Special Collections, Hesburgh Libraries of Notre Dame.
Acquisition and Processing Note: Acquired at Mealy's Auction, December 2010.
Brendan Behan (1923-1964) was born in Dublin and became involved in the IRA early in life. He was incarcerated in Hollesley Bay, Suffolk as a youth and later in Mountjoy Jail, Dublin for shooting at a Garda (police officer).
A housepainter by trade, Behan was a playwright, poet, balladmaker and novelist as well as being known as a popular storyteller and singer. He wrote and published in both Irish and English. Among Behan's best-known works are The Quare Fella, An Giall, The Hostage and Borstal Boy. Alcohol was a major problem in Behan's life, and this combined with diabetes brought him to an early death.
Liam Creagh was a prominent member of far-right group Ailtirí na hAiséirghe, and a friend of Brendan Behan.
The Liam Creagh Collection on Brendan Behan consists of 17 folders containing 7 letters and cards, a typescript, various print items, photographs and pictures, and a leather belt.
The collection is organized with correspondence in one group followed by other written material. Pictures (photographs, paintings and drawings) are grouped next. The last item is a leather military belt.
- Letter. Brendan Behan to Mícheál Mac Liammóir 1961.
Folder 1 (MSE/IR 1070-1).
- ALS. Note to Liam Creagh. 25 April 1961
Folder 2 (MSE/IR 1070-2).
- Signed letter to Liam Creagh. 2 July 1961
Folder 3 (MSE/IR 1070-3).
- Postcard to Liam Creagh. 2 July 1961
Folder 3 (MSE/IR 1070-3).
- Receipt, Central Bar and Lounge, Dublin.
Folder 5 (MSE/IR 1070-5).
- Letter, Beatrice Behan to Phyllis Creagh. 7 September 1962.
Folder 6 (MSE/IR 1070-6).
- Letter, Lee Dunne to Liam Creagh. 24 June 1968.
Folder 7 (MSE/IR 1070-7).
- Letter, Macdara Woods to Liam Creagh. c.1971
Folder 8 (MSE/IR 1070-8).
- Typescript, "Teems of Times and Happy Returns".
Folder 9 (MSE/IR 1070-9).
40 page typescript.
- Book:The Quare Fellow, by Brendan Behan, with dedication by author to Liam Creagh. 19 June 1957
Folder 10 (MSE/IR 1070-10).
- Booklet: Brendan Behan. A memoir, by Seamus de Burca. With dedication by the author to Liam Creagh. 21 March 1972.
Folder 11 (MSE/IR 1070-11).
- Newspaper reports on death and funeral of Brendan Behan: Evening Press, 21 March 1964; page from Sunday Press, 22 March 1964; Evening Press, 23 March 1964. March 1964
Folder 12-F3 (MSE/IR 1070-12-F3).
2 newspapers and 1 newspaper page.
- Photograph: Brendan Behan.
Folder 13 (MSE/IR 1070-13).
- Photograph: Liam Creagh family with Brendan Behan.
Folder 14(MSE/IR 1070-14).
- Painting: Countess Markievicz.
Folder 15(MSE/IR 1070-15).
- Drawing: Brendan Behan, by Seán Ó Súilleabhàin.
Folder 16(MSE/IR 1070-16).
- Military belt, reputedly belonging to Brendan Behan.
Folder 17(MSE/IR 1070-17).
1 leather belt.